Skip to main content

Feeling out of place

Matthew 5:14-15 

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house” 

The past couple of weeks have been very hard for me. You know those sad montages that you get in those movies, that’s kind of how my life has been recently. It feels like I can’t do anything right and my every move is getting criticised or judged. Whether it’s my family or friends, I always feel singled out, like I don’t belong. I always feel...out of place. I don’t know if you feel the same way about yourself at times, but it’s not uncommon in this world to feel alone. With so many isolated people, it’s ironic that we all go through the same thing.  

From the verse, we see that isolation is almost an inherited trait from the Lord, not in the sense that we should feel lonely, but in the sense that God calls us. Isolation doesn’t mean you are by yourself, it means you are singled out. If you feel out of place, maybe it’s because you were never meant to blend in the beginning. We can’t expect to reside in darkness if we are called to be the light of the world.  

Think about the last time you saw a light bulb in a room. It was most likely small but occupied in quite a big room. The light bulb was unique because despite it’s environment of darkness, it still shined bright. That is a direct correlation as to how God views us. We are not called to fit in or be the same as everyone else in this world, because God has chosen you, and God has called you.  

I also think there’s an emphasis on “feeling” out of place: what you feel doesn’t always give us the most accurate depiction. You feel out of place because you feel different, however your difference makes the difference: whether that’s within your family, your friends, or whatever environment God calls you to be a light. A light can’t be the same as it’s environment, otherwise it wouldn’t be a light, and so I think we should all embrace being a light, so that we can shine brighter.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...