Skip to main content

The significance of words

Words are the very core of our existence. We use them to communicate with people and we implement them to have a rationale of all the things around us. Without words, there would be no such thing as life, ironically, we wouldn’t even be able to name it. It’s clear words are significant, but today I want to summarise into 3 main points as to why: 


  1. 1. Words show God’s kindness 

 

Words in it’s essence reveals things. Through words, we give definitions to objects, through words we name people and through words we get to find out about people’s lives. Our biggest revelation is the character of God. The Bible contains 66 books full of words that show us the nature of God. Why words? God created the heavens and the earth through His voice (Genisis 1:3) Any other means could have been implemented but He used the very thing we use most in our lives, so that we may have certainty and confidence in His own word. So, whatever God has said about you, trust that His words hold truth and power.  

 

  1. 2. What you say is impactful 

 

Biologically our tongues are one of the smallest organs in our bodies, yet one of the most powerful. Our tongues produce what we say, and what we say can either do two things: uplift someone or pull them down. Ephesians 4:29 urges us to “not let any unwholesome talk come out of our mouths”. What you say holds more weight than you are aware of, and with knowledge of this, let’s be people who use it for good. Let’s be people who speak words of kindness and love, not just because it’s nice, but because we are followers of the very source of kindness and love.  

 

  1. 3. The main message from ‘The Word’ 

 

Words bring messages. On our day-today lives we use words to send messages to people: whether this is on the phone, maybe a letter, or a face-to-face interaction. John 1:1 states that, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. At first glance It may feel a little confusing at what ‘The Word’ is, but having an awareness of what the message is, makes it easier to comprehend. The message that is demonstrated is the life of Jesus, and so we can simply replace Jesus with The word. In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God and Jesus was God. Jesus is the message of God’s grace and love for you manifested in human form. How are we going to respond to that message? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

Seeing people through being seen

Gen e sis 16:13   “She gave his name to the Lord who spoke to her: You are the God wh o sees me , for she said, I have seen the One who sees me”   One of the names of God is ‘El Roi’ which translates to “The God who sees me ”. When hearing that, you're probably feeling quite exposed or f eel that you have no privacy, however being seen is actually a good thing. A God that sees you shows that whatever you’re going through, even the things you don’t tell anyone about, you and I have a God that acknowledges our pain and acknowledges our circumstance. You are not alone in your struggles.    Relating to the verse, to provide context, here is what is going on:   Hagar, an Egyptian slave, has essentially been mistreated by Sarai (Abraham’s wife) because she got pregnant and Sarai hadn’t at that time, so she was just moving jealous (a bit unnecessary if you ask me) With this mistreatment,  Hagar tries to run away from her distress and God essentially says...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...