Skip to main content

Being intentional with Joy

James 1: 2 

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds” 

Have you ever not been in a good mood? Have you ever felt like things are just not going your way? If you answered yes to any of those questions, it shows that you are human. Problems occur and things happen that can make us upset, and that is an unfortunate reality we have to face in this world. 

For me, one of my resolutions this year is to be more joyful. If I had to make a book about the year of 2024, the title of it would be “A sequence of difficulties”. In my life, it seemed I was experiencing problem after problem and issue after issue. I couldn’t escape them. The bitter truth is that problems and issues are inevitable, but our attitude towards them isn’t.  

At that time, I was angry at God for allowing all those things to happen to me, but in retrospect I can be grateful to see the work God was doing inside of me, the resilience he was building, and the character he was moulding.  

I think as Christians we sometimes reject joy. I know it sounds crazy, but can we honestly say that everytime a problem comes, we choose to see what we are grateful for through that? I’m guilty of it, plenty of times I’ve ignored to see all the blessings around me and fixated on all the issues I was facing. One phrase I heard in church growing up was “If you have nothing to be thankful for, be thankful that you are alive”. I never understood the weight of that statement until now. Often times we embed our circumstances with emotional idolatry: choosing to stay in a state of sadness, rather than looking towards the source of our solutions.  

Looking more closely at the verse, there’s one word in that I wanted to focus on today: that word being “consider”. Consideration is all about perspective, how we think and rationalise the situations that are presented to us. A lot of things are mentioned in the Bible, but you will never find it saying that you will never experience issues or problems. Everything is temporary: our issues and circumstances, the only thing that isn’t temporary is what we choose our relationship with God to be. Are we going to be people that let temporary worries affect our praise? Or are we going to give thanks in all circumstances? (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-17) 

Authentic joy comes from recognising God’s character throughout anything you may or may not be experiencing. Once we dwell within God’s goodness, we are able to abide in the joy he desires for our life. Don’t let your problems affect your gratitude: the very fact that you are alive today is a reason to be thankful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...