Skip to main content

An Unforgiving Heart

Mark 11:25 

“And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses” 

If there's a singular thing guaranteed in this life is that humans will be humans. People hurt people: they may say things that hurt you, do things the hurt you and make you feel...hurt. I think I’m getting to an age where I’m starting to see more people do things that I don’t appreciate, it can be friendships, family or people you work with whether school or in the office. With all those different people can come this internal damage called ‘unforgiveness’.  

It’s one of those things that isn’t solely seen internally but also produced externally. We all know someone that when a certain person walks into a room, their whole mood changes. Almost as if that person is a trigger for anger: sparking negative emotions just based on the presence of them. For some of us, that person that we know is ourselves, and we need to recognise that as unforgiveness.  

Forgiveness doesn’t mean you forget about what happened, or you never feel hurt by it, it’s recognising to not attach that hurt to how you treat the person that done you wrong. Whether that person is close or not close, or whether that person is even yourself, it’s about dropping that weight of pain, and walking in freedom.  

Looking at the verse, we see forgiveness can almost be seen as quite transactional. We forgive because our God that is in heaven has already forgiven us. When you make the decision to not forgive someone, you are unintentionally saying the cross wasn’t enough for you: that somehow your forgiveness is valued higher than Christ’s forgiveness. We have been forgiven and so out of that forgiveness we should pour it into other people.  

We can hold unforgiveness in the present, but we can also hold unforgiveness in the past. Time doesn’t heal entirely, God does. Whatever the situation may be, however someone may have treated you, cast it onto a sovereign God, who will not only soften your heart, but facilitate the peace to heal from it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...