Skip to main content

Learning Patience

Jerimiah 29:11 

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” 

In my life, Patience has been one of the hardest things I’ve had to learn: an area that I am still learning how to navigate. A culture that is so consumed with instant dopamine, it’s hard to re-wire our brains to learn this concept. For me, it’s easy to compare myself with other people, and when other people have things that I don’t, it can lead to impatience. This can cause us to say things or do things that are out of character: and often times one of the first things that crumbles is our relationship with God. We trust God less when our present is uncertain, however if we can all adopt Patience, I think we can live a life that is less stressful.  

Looking at the verse, you might be thinking “I’ve seen this verse thousands of times”, however I think there is always something to learn. We know from the verse that God has a plan for our lives. Think of the last time you made a plan. You probably thought it through, organised details and thoroughly looked at the beginning, middle and end. The same is with God. Our lives have been written by the most sovereign author, and only He knows what the beginning, middle and end looks like. Who else is more qualified to trust if not Him? 

In situations where we lose hope, we can have confidence in the fact that it is not within God’s clock. Time is a creature of God, in the sense that it was made by God and is used by God. On numerous occasions, Time has been used as a means to test my faith. There is something about fully relying on God, that builds a resilience that can’t be replaced.  

It is easier said than done, but I think if we can meditate on the fact that God truly is sovereign over our lives, then we can learn Patience. (Galatians 5:22) tells us that Patience is a fruit of the spirit, meaning that we must first be rooted in God, to produce the fruit of Patience: it can’t be produced by our own works.  

Have you ever wondered why Patience is a fruit of the spirit? I’ve always associated Patience with simply waiting. But Patience isn’t merely the act of waiting: because there are times where we can be waiting in a stationary position. Patience isn’t also just letting time pass because it assumes that our timing is a sufficient means of a change in our circumstances. Patience is the acknowledgment of God’s timing. His timing is a sufficient means, and His timing deserves all of our trust. 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

Seeing people through being seen

Gen e sis 16:13   “She gave his name to the Lord who spoke to her: You are the God wh o sees me , for she said, I have seen the One who sees me”   One of the names of God is ‘El Roi’ which translates to “The God who sees me ”. When hearing that, you're probably feeling quite exposed or f eel that you have no privacy, however being seen is actually a good thing. A God that sees you shows that whatever you’re going through, even the things you don’t tell anyone about, you and I have a God that acknowledges our pain and acknowledges our circumstance. You are not alone in your struggles.    Relating to the verse, to provide context, here is what is going on:   Hagar, an Egyptian slave, has essentially been mistreated by Sarai (Abraham’s wife) because she got pregnant and Sarai hadn’t at that time, so she was just moving jealous (a bit unnecessary if you ask me) With this mistreatment,  Hagar tries to run away from her distress and God essentially says...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...