Skip to main content

The Fall vs The Rise

Romans 6:4 

“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life” 

Given the theme of Easter, I think it’s important to remember why we celebrate this holiday and what specifically was done on a cross 2,000 odd years ago in a place called Golgotha. Easter isn’t merely a time of stuffing your face with chocolates but a reflection: a reflection to highlight how humanity’s failure points to Jesus’s correction.  

Before we look at the verse, I think it’s important to see where it all went wrong. If you aren’t aware of the story, let me give you a quick run through of what is known as ‘The Fall’. Genisis 1:26-27 tells us that we were made in the image and likeness of God, creating a unique relationship that separated humanity from any other creation of God. This unique relationship was inhabited in ‘The Garden of Eden’: the same place where Eve was tempted by Satan. We see throughout Genisis 3 of how a misinterpretation of God’s word led to confusion, temptation and eventual sin.  

This same temptation was seen in the life of Jesus; however, something was fundamentally different. The same scheme was used: Satan tried to question Jesus’s knowledge of God’s word. But with Jesus there was no misinterpretation of God’s word, because Jesus was the word itself (John 1:1) Even if we look at specifically what was tempted such as “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread” or “All this I will give you, if you will bow down and worship me” (Matthew 4:1-9), they are all external: questioning his deity rather than tackling anything internal. This was all done because there was no sin inside Jesus for Satan to tackle. 

Jesus lived a life of no sin and because of that He was the ultimate sacrifice to re-connect a relationship that was lost in ‘The Garden of Eden’.  

If we look more closely at the verse, when Jesus died on the cross it wasn’t just a singular event that we look back on, it’s a reality we must embrace everyday. Because Jesus died on a cross and resurrected three days later, we get to experience the duality of what happened. We share in his death of sin, but we also live in his resurrection of a new life.  

So today is not just a day where we eat easter eggs, but a day where we both receive Christ’s resurrection and live through the conquering of sin.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

Seeing people through being seen

Gen e sis 16:13   “She gave his name to the Lord who spoke to her: You are the God wh o sees me , for she said, I have seen the One who sees me”   One of the names of God is ‘El Roi’ which translates to “The God who sees me ”. When hearing that, you're probably feeling quite exposed or f eel that you have no privacy, however being seen is actually a good thing. A God that sees you shows that whatever you’re going through, even the things you don’t tell anyone about, you and I have a God that acknowledges our pain and acknowledges our circumstance. You are not alone in your struggles.    Relating to the verse, to provide context, here is what is going on:   Hagar, an Egyptian slave, has essentially been mistreated by Sarai (Abraham’s wife) because she got pregnant and Sarai hadn’t at that time, so she was just moving jealous (a bit unnecessary if you ask me) With this mistreatment,  Hagar tries to run away from her distress and God essentially says...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...