Skip to main content

Pressure doesn’t make diamonds it points to it

Psalm 118: 5-6 

Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” 

I never understood the phrase ‘pressure makes diamonds’: obviously I understood the context, however I could never relate to it. The phrase suggests that pressure is something to be embraced or celebrated because something good was going to come out of it, but in my life, it was never the case. Every form of pressure that approached me seemed to lead to disappointment. With every exam I put pressure on myself for, were the ones I did the worst on. With every basketball game I put pressure on myself for, were the ones I played the worst. It was an unescapable loop.   

I’m not saying every pressure leads to disappointment, but pressure that is relied on your strength will eventually catch up to you. Our pressure doesn’t make diamonds, it points to our diamond: our treasure that is God.  

When we look at the verse, though we may not explicitly see the word “diamond”, I think there’s still some implicit things we can take from it. David in the book of Psalms is attaching his worries to His solutions: God. Sometimes pressure may lead to “distress”, but I think we should take the same approach David does and call on the Lord. Whatever pressure you may be feeling just know the Lord can set you free. 

We all experience pressure in different formats: whether you feel the pressure from your parents, whether you feel the pressure of the expectations of others, or even you’ve put pressure on yourself, recognise the pressure and give it to God.  

Pressure is unique in the fact that when we receive it, we are at a loss. We let our minds be consumed with thoughts and events that haven’t even happened. Pressure is simply a placed expectation: sometimes that expectation may be overwhelming and others we may be able to embrace, but how much easier would it be if we placed our expectations through God.  

When we crumble under pressure it could be an indication of the stability of our strength. Proverbs 24:10 says “If you faulter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength, and this isn’t a verse meant to discourage you, but rather an invitation: an invitation to ask yourself what your source of strength is, and where it’s coming from. If it’s anything other than God, then “in a time of trouble, it will be easy to “faulter”. Let God be your source of strength so that when pressure comes you don’t stumble.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

Seeing people through being seen

Gen e sis 16:13   “She gave his name to the Lord who spoke to her: You are the God wh o sees me , for she said, I have seen the One who sees me”   One of the names of God is ‘El Roi’ which translates to “The God who sees me ”. When hearing that, you're probably feeling quite exposed or f eel that you have no privacy, however being seen is actually a good thing. A God that sees you shows that whatever you’re going through, even the things you don’t tell anyone about, you and I have a God that acknowledges our pain and acknowledges our circumstance. You are not alone in your struggles.    Relating to the verse, to provide context, here is what is going on:   Hagar, an Egyptian slave, has essentially been mistreated by Sarai (Abraham’s wife) because she got pregnant and Sarai hadn’t at that time, so she was just moving jealous (a bit unnecessary if you ask me) With this mistreatment,  Hagar tries to run away from her distress and God essentially says...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...