Skip to main content

Your mistakes don’t define you

Proverbs 28: 13 

“Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy” 

Recently I’ve made a few irrational decisions and for a while, I’ve had to live with that guilt and disappointment. It’s made me unmotivated; it’s made me pessimistic, and it’s disrupted every aspect of my life: including God. If you're like me then when you make decisions that you're not happy with, it can feel like your whole world is going to end.  

One thing the enemy has been trying to plant in my mind is that I’m not deserving of being loved, or I’m not deserving of good things to happen to me. But let me tell you something, all of that is a lie, they are all things the enemy wants you to feel because he knows that if you feel like you're not deserving of love, how will you ever accept God’s love, and if you can’t accept God’s love, how could you ever accept salvation? You see how such a small plant of thought, can lead to so much? We don’t serve a God of guilt and disappointment, and the enemy will try make you think otherwise. The schemes of the enemy are to prance on any little setback you may experience and try to make you dwell in your mistakes, but your mistakes don’t define you, Jesus does.  

 

Looking more closely at the verse “conceal” means to trap and keep hidden, and for me that’s usually a natural response when I do things wrong. When Cain kills his brother Abel, God askes “where is your brother Abel?” (Genisis 4:9) God didn’t ask this question out of curiosity but rather repentance. He is omnipresent and can see everything, so he already knew Cain committed a sin, but the key thing is that God left room for repentance. We serve a forgiving God, and so any mistake you made that you think is too big for you to go back to him, God is given you an opportunity to repent.  

Sometimes we think shielding our mistakes from God, helps us but it only hurts us the more. Part of why God wants us to confess our mistakes to him is not only so that we leave room for repentance through a transparent heart, but it’s also because God doesn’t want you to carry that weight of secrecy. The root of all the enemies' schemes is to attack your faith and salvation, and when we try to hide our mistakes from God, the thoughts of the enemy creep in, and can turn what was once a mistake into a separation from God’s presence.  

So, confess and forsake your mistakes, because we serve a God that will grant mercy and forgiveness.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...