Skip to main content

You may feel lonely, but you are never alone

1 Corinthians 12: 25-27 

“So that there should be no division in the body, but that it’s parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it” 

One thing about me is that I have fluctuated through feelings of loneliness. Sometimes it was self-inflicted, other times a situation occurred. Loneliness is an unescapable feeling. Whether you have felt it before, whether you are feeling it now, it’s a common thing we all go through. The key thing to remember when you are going through this feeling is that it is simply just a feeling. I’m not saying to ignore your emotions, but just because you feel lonely, doesn’t mean you have to attach it to your reality.  

When I look back at all the times, I have felt lonely, I realise that there was always someone to lean on: it might be your Mum or Dad, a sibling, or even a friend, there is always someone. If you find yourself not having anyone to go to, trust that God will always be there, and he won’t leave or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5) 

Another key thing to remember is to be intentional with relationships. We are not called to live life alone. There is power in community. Growing up I had some friends say to me “I don’t go to church because I have a personal relationship with God”, and though our relationship with God is personal and intimate, don’t let that block you from experiencing the love of having a family.  

Individualistic behaviour prevents accountability. We all need to be discipled and be disciples and the best environment is within the church. Pay close attention to the terminology Paul uses throughout his letters. He uses collective pronouns like “us”, “we”, “brothers”, “sisters”: clearly emphasising the cause for family. If we are truly bodies of Christ, then surely one body part can’t coexist without the other.  

Relating to the verse, I wanted to pay close attention to the word “suffering”. The tone suggests that suffering isn’t just a possibility in life, it’s a reality. Because we are bodies of Christ, we share in his suffering, probably not in the same capacity, but in some way, we are bound to suffering. If we are all subject to the same suffering, why not help each other along this journey? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...