Skip to main content

Preaching through our actions

1 John 3:15 

“Dear Children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth” 

One thing I’ve really struggled with this year is trying not to sound “preachy”. What I mean is that, once we’ve taken the step to be intentional with our relationship with God, we kind of expect the same with everyone else around us. At least for me, when I see people doing things that they shouldn’t, the first response in my heart is to condemn, and if we are close, I feel inclined to correct them. There is nothing wrong with correcting, in fact, we all should hold each other accountable, but sometimes our words are not always the best way to help someone.  

Communication isn’t limited to words. I believe you can speak to someone without having to say anything. Have you ever heard of the phrase “actions speak louder than words”? Well, I think we should adopt that mindset when it comes to evangelism. We shouldn’t neglect spreading the gospel verbally, but let’s also not underestimate the power of spreading the gospel physically. 

The gospel in a few words is that Jesus died for our sins and that he loves us. But how much more believable will that statement be, if people could truly see the love of God in our lives? Are we living the gospel or are they just empty words we say to people? If we look more closely at the verse, we see the act of “love” is much more than what we say. Our actions dictate our character, and if we are truly representatives of Christ our actions should reflect the same love God shows to us.  

But what does showing love look like? The bible many times gives us a picture of what love is and how it is shown (1 Corinthians 13:4-8) The root of all love is God, and what better love is there than laying down your life? 

From this we can say that love in it’s essence is self-sacrificing. Practically, with every action we do we can ask ourselves “Am I serving others?”, “Am I being self-sacrificing", or am I concerned with my own interests? 

When we show authentic love, we open the accessibility of the gospel. People won’t care about what you have to say until they know you care. So let us start living the gospel more, so that the gospel can be heard more.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...