Skip to main content

Dealing with Fear

2 Timothy 1:7

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” 

Fear is a universal emotion we all feel. It comes in different formats, affects different people differently and is an unavoidable aspect of life. For me, as I’ve progressed in my relationship with God, fear has been the hardest thing I’ve had to deal with. Whether it was certain dreams, visions or the enemy trying to play with my mind: they were all spiritual attacks. 

You may not deal with spiritual attacks, and maybe your fear is embedded of people’s perception of you. Maybe you have fear of rejection, or fear of failure, nevertheless we should all identify our fear, but let us not make it our identity. Don’t hold your fear hostage, set it free by allowing Jesus to use his keys of comfort. 

Looking at the verse, once we have given our lives to Jesus and have accepted him as our lord and saviour, we are overcomers of fear. This is not out of our own strength, but by the spirit that lives within us. Majority of the fear we face is rooted in our incapabilities, which we have every right to fear. If what we fear has the absence of God, then we should be fearful. Equally, if what we fear has the involvement of God, then we have nothing to worry about. We can rest assured that God will fight our battles on our behalf. 

We can have confidence that God will fight our battle because it is a reflection of his identity. Names are a significant introduction to the character of people.  It’s what people refer to us on a day-to day basis. Names give us information on our cultural and ethnic background. I say this because without knowing the significance of names, it will be difficult to trust God. When God self-identifies with a name, it is not just an empty title that is thrown in the air, it is a declaration of his character and identity. Countless times in the Old Testament God is called “The Lord of Hosts”. The Hebrew root of “hosts” translates to “sabaoth” which means “armies”: any army whether that being spiritual or earthly. The name itself emphasises God’s control over every realm or power, and every fear you face. 

There is nothing outside the parameters of God that he won’t defend on your behalf. Whenever you are in a state of fear, trust that the Lord of Hosts, will fight your battle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...