Skip to main content

There is no hierarchy of sin

James 4:17

“If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them” 

One belief that is really corrupting our generation is that one sin is greater than the other. We compare our sins with other people and believe that because we don’t behave the same way as others, we are more righteous, neglecting that Jesus’s resurrection makes us righteous in the eyes of the Lord. This isn’t me excusing righteous judgement, but as a culture we need to self-examine where our judgement is stemming from. We need to stop conditioning our minds to the belief that if we commit that sin instead of that other sin, that somehow, we escape the consequences. The truth is that all sin leads to a consequence, and in order to understand why we shouldn’t place a sin above another, we must first know what sin is, how does it affect us and God, and what are the consequences. 

Apart from blaspheming the holy spirit (Luke 12:10) all sin is viewed and judged equally before the Lord. But what is sin? The Hebrew origin of the word “sin” is “khata”, which means “to miss the goal” or “to fail”. That “goal” is being made in the image of God (Genisis 1:27) and because of this, there a certain expectations placed on us. 

God in nature is the epitome of holiness and righteousness, and when we sin, we are not only hurting God, but we are also preventing a relationship with him. God wants a relationship with us, but sin leads to spiritual death, and spiritual death is the separation from God. 

I know from our perspective it can seem confusing that a lie and a murder can be viewed and judged the same in front of God, but if we look at it from God’s perspective it makes much more sense. The reason why we shouldn’t place one sin above another is because we are essentially saying “I am hurting God less than you”, and if you really rationalise that sentence, it doesn’t make sense. You wouldn’t say “I hurt that person less than you, so I’m a better friend”, so why is it when it’s with God the rules change? 

I heard a sermon the other day that explained why we continue to sin, despite our knowledge of it’s consequences and she said, “All sin is rooted in unbelief”. If we examine all the sins we have ever committed, then we realise that our sin is based on the disbelief of God’s character. We keep unforgiveness in our hearts because we don’t truly believe that vengeance is God’s (Deuteronomy 32:25) We place idol’s out of impatience because we don’t believe God is a promise keeper. We commit acts of sexual immorality because we don’t truly believe that our bodies belong to God, and that our bodies are a part of God’s temple (1 Corinthians 6:19) 

If we look at the verse, if we know what is good, we can’t continue to live in sin. Deceiving ourselves of ignorance ruins our intimacy with God. Jesus paid the price of our sins, so that we can have a relationship with God. However, repentance doesn’t end when we give our lives to Jesus, repentance is daily: a constant expression of sanctification.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...