Skip to main content

The Duality of God’s help

Hebrews 4:15 

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathise with our weakness, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are- yet he did not sin” 

Sometimes when we sin and fall short, it’s very easy to feel like we can’t go back to God. For me, the reluctancy lies in the belief that God wouldn’t accept me with open arms: that somehow God’s righteousness separates me from my sinful nature. If you have ever had this thought, remember that Jesus’s death broke that separation. Because of him we can go back to God boldly. Today I want to go in more detail as to how Jesus’s death brings life to our relationship with God every time we fall short, because we will.  

The Bible is very meticulous with its word choice, being very intentional with it’s vocabulary. Looking closely at the word “empathise”, I find it quite interesting why no other word was used. Words like “understand” or “sympathise” could have been used but it wouldn’t have had the same meaning. Even if we look at the difference between “Empathise” and “Sympathise” it becomes much clearer for the purpose of this word. According to Google, “sympathy” is expressing care and concern for someone’s feelings without necessarily sharing those emotions yourself, whereas “empathy” is the ability to understand and share feelings of others, involving a deep emotional connection.  

The assumption of a “high priest” assumes some form of division: that somehow our ‘worldliness’ can’t go near God’s righteousness. But Jesus isn’t your typical “high priest”, although there is a power dynamic, it doesn’t prevent us from having intimacy with God. This level of intimacy is rooted in Jesus’s humility. He became obedient to humanity, temptation and even death, all things we experience.  

But how can someone with so much authority subject himself to so much suffering? 

 The simple answer is Love. His love and desire for a relationship with us, transcends our understanding. Whenever we are suffering and feel like we can’t go to God, remember he experienced the same things we did. His humanity not only allows him to empathise with our suffering, but his nature of God enables him to be the solution.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...