Skip to main content

Unpacking Genisis 1

There are a lot of things to unpack within the book of Genisis: there’s compassion, wrath and greed, and that’s only within the first couple of pages. If we were to go into intricate detail, it would take days to fully comprehend the intention behind the book. But today, I wanted to highlight three points, only a fraction of how God’s character is explored within Genisis 1.  

 

  1. 1. God calls for the separation between light and darkness 

 

Genisis 1:4 

“God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.  

During God’s creation, he came to a realisation. He realised that they should be a seperation: a permanent division between light and darkness. We can view this verse through a scientific perspective, but Jesus uses this same term in the New Testament. Jesus calls us to be the light of the world (Matthew 5:14) meaning anything ‘darkin our life should be separated from us. This darkness could be bad friendships, maybe certain accounts you follow on social media, but the underlying root of it all is that darkness is anything that leads us to sin.  

  1. 2. God’s creativity is expressed through the formless 

 

Genisis 1:2 “Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters 

Creativity is a term thrown around aimlessly. We call people “geniuses” and put them on a pedestal without first looking at the creator of all creation. With so much ugliness in the world, it’s hard to recognise all the beauty we are around. Take sunsets for example, it’s hard to beleive that God created that out of nothing, like literally nothing. From this we can come to the conclusion that God’s best work is done through the reduction of nothingness. The reason I say this is because whatever God has taken away from us, and made empty, we should remember that his best work is yet to come. God is creating something greater in you.  

  1. 3. God’s authority is illustrated verbally  

 

Throughout Genisis 1, a common phrase seen is “And God said”. Through this phrase, God creates light and darkness, the sea, the sky etc. God only has to say the word, and through just speaking the earth is formed. This not only explores the illustration of his authority but also shows that God is the authority: and that is over everything seen and unseen.  

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

Seeing people through being seen

Gen e sis 16:13   “She gave his name to the Lord who spoke to her: You are the God wh o sees me , for she said, I have seen the One who sees me”   One of the names of God is ‘El Roi’ which translates to “The God who sees me ”. When hearing that, you're probably feeling quite exposed or f eel that you have no privacy, however being seen is actually a good thing. A God that sees you shows that whatever you’re going through, even the things you don’t tell anyone about, you and I have a God that acknowledges our pain and acknowledges our circumstance. You are not alone in your struggles.    Relating to the verse, to provide context, here is what is going on:   Hagar, an Egyptian slave, has essentially been mistreated by Sarai (Abraham’s wife) because she got pregnant and Sarai hadn’t at that time, so she was just moving jealous (a bit unnecessary if you ask me) With this mistreatment,  Hagar tries to run away from her distress and God essentially says...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...