Skip to main content

Unconditionality with our relationship with God

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” 

God’s love for us is unconditional. Through our mistakes time and time again, he accepts us with open arms. Even when we reject him, he still calls us his own. But why is it when things don’t go our way, our relationship with God is the first thing that crumbles? God tells us his plans for our lives is to not harm us (Jerimiah 29:11), but do we authentically believe and live through those words? If we do hold on to these words, why does our circumstance affect the stability of our faith? 

This isn’t me trying to judge you because I’m very much guilty of this as well. Throughout this year, I pictured certain things happening for me: whether it was certain relationships, job opportunities, or certain grades, and consistently when those things didn’t go the way I wanted, I pulled away from God.  

Looking back, I can see why God didn’t give me those things. I placed them as an idol, and made my faith dependent on the tangibility of what I thought were good for me. Our devotion to God shouldn’t be based on the material value he can bring to our lives, but rather the goodness in his character that is presented to us by him. God shouldn’t be our genie where we grant for wishes, he wants intimacy with us. Yes, God blesses us and answers prayers, but not all our prayers are the will of God, and if we want our relationship with him to be unconditional, we must trust that.  

The clearest way to see if our relationship with God is unconditional is to examine our prayers. Are our prayers a conversation or a wish list? When we know the content of our prayers, we are made aware of the authenticity of our faith.  

Looking at the verse, “prayer” and “giving thanks” is not something that ends in the morning, or starts just before we go to sleep, God commands it to be the root of our lifestyle. In doubt, we should pray and give thanks, in fear, we should pray and give thanks, in joy, we should pray and give thanks. Our faith should have no circumstantial boundaries because his love for us is unconditional, so why can’t we do the same?  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...