Skip to main content

Let’s not cage God’s voice

1 John 10: 27 

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow me” 

Recently I was having a conversation with my friend about how God speaks to us. For my friend, God spoke audibly, through visions and through emotions and for me God spoke through scripture, through people and sometimes dreams. Ironically through our conversation, God was speaking to me. I may not have heard an audible voice, but God was saying to not limit how he communicates. Seeing the different ways God spoke to me and my friend, led me to talk about it today.  

Let’s not trap God’s voice through our expectations as to how we want to receive it: God will speak however he desires, we just need to position ourselves to receive the message. 

Focussing on the verse, with something so short, a lot is being said. For one, if we are to hear God’s voice, God has to know us. When we say we know someone, we measure them through their character. One of the ways to see if we are known by God is to see our character. Our character needs to measure up to the representation of Jesus. The second thing I wanted to point out was that Jesus calls us to know his voice. It may sound obvious, but do we actually know God’s voice? Are we able to dissociate God’s voice, from all the other voices in our lives.  

The last thing I want to point out is that Jesus calls us to be sheep. Another word for sheep is follower, and there are many characteristics of a sheep, but I think the most important aspect is a sheep’s submissiveness. Sheeps are known for being submissive and this is the behaviour God calls us to be towards his voice. What does this mean? It means being submissive to all of God’s voice.  

In a culture where we knit pick things from the bible and choose what and what not to do, we would rather hear a comforting lie, rather than an uncomftable truth. I think this is the main thing that is preventing us Christians from hearing God’s word.  

How can we expect to hear God more if we don’t receive all the messages? If we don’t listen to his conviction, how can we be expectant of visions or prophecies. We need to position our hearts to all messages from God, not just the messages that feel comforting.  

Part of what my friend said in our conversation was that, we focus on how God speaks to us, rather than focussing on what God is actually saying. God will speak, but are we ready to listen to what and how he says it? 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Love

1 John 4:19   “We love because H e first loved us”   Whenever I’m in a bad mood... let’s just say I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m the type of person that can’t hide how I’m feeling. I rarely smile when something is wrong, I probably walk a little different and most likely I have my head dangling down moping. In this state, I’m probably a short fuse: if someone probably looks at me wrong, I may get angry.   I don’t say all of this to applaud myself, but rather to show what not to do. In this world , it is very easy to not have a good day: whether it’s a person that irritated us, maybe a particular circumstance that you’re in, or ma ybe it’s even yourself. All of this, regardless of the situation forces us to have a choice: a choice of how we decide to treat people.   Love is always spoken about from a feeling-based concept, and though you can feel love for someone, very often we mis s the times when it is not easy. The reason why the...

An Omnipresent God

Hebrews 13:8   “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”   Usually with these blogs I tend to write quite broadly: trying to speak and relate to pretty much everyone . However, today I w anted to speak to a particular type of person: a person who has trust issues. I’m not talking about having trust issues with people, alt hough it would be very normal if this was the case, I’m talking about having trust issues with God.   When I say trust issues with God, I’m not saying you reject his character or existence, but rather you are rejecting his nature of being Omnipresent. When we see this word being used it’s usually from a geographical perspective but very rarely is it talked about from a time perspective.   Let me tell you a quick story about how God convicted me this week, and what influenced this blog today. I was walking back home physically, but in my mind, I was working overtime: stressing about my finances and budgeting. During that time...

Identity built through Christ

John 1:12    “ Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God”   Identity is always something I have struggled with. I believed that if I did not act a certain way with certain people I would not be accepted. I built my identity on the perception of others: letting other people's opinion of me dictate my value as a person. One thing I didn’t realise was that my value had already been written , something established long before I was even born. My value: your value, is built through Jesus. And so, we can’t let the opinion of others affect us, whether positive or negative because our identity is not built on the perception of others but of God. We are all seen di fferently by different people , maybe your someone’s brother or sister, a mum or a dad, or something else. The most common association t o our identity is our names. It’s what our friends , teachers and family refer to us by: an associat...